Student Volunteer T-Shirt Contest
Back for the third year, Student Volunteers can design the T-Shirt they will receive at the conference!
In order to participate in the contest, you need to be eligible to be a Student Volunteer at VIS this year and submit a T-Shirt design before the June 15 deadline. The winner will automatically be selected to be a Student Volunteer on top of being acknowledged for designing the T-Shirt.
To be able to qualify to the Student Volunteer T-Shirt contest, students must be eligible for being a Student Volunteer, and agree to the duties that come with it. See the home page for the general information.
The process for the contest are as follows:
- Send the designs to firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight PDT on June 15, with the subject: VIS17 SV Shirt Contest - FIRSTNAME LASTNAME.
- Include in the email:
- Full name (first and last)
- Affiliations (e.g., University)
- Status (undergraduate, masters, or Ph.D. student)
- Design file -- .png, .jpg, .pdf, or .svg.
- Design title
- (Optional) Design
(max 150 words)
- Participants to the contest must then apply to be a Student Volunteer during July to remain eligible.
- We accept one design per student.
- The SV chairs and the conference committee will select a subset of the designs.
- Then the community will vote for their favorite of those pre-selected designs through an online voting system.
- We may ask the contest winner to make some small changes to the original design.
- If the design uses live/changing data, the data must be frozen by the IEEE VIS early bird registration deadline.
Guidelines and Instructions
You are quite free in designing the T-Shirt. However, here is a list of constraints or suggestions that you should take into consideration:
- The T-Shirt is two-sided. The
design must show both the front
and the back of the T-Shirt if you
plan to submit a two-sided
T-Shirt. However, it is not
mandatory and you can submit a
- Four mandatory elements must be in the design: the VIS logo (EPS); a mention of the year "2017"; and a mention of the location "Phoenix"; and a mention of "Student Volunteer", "SV", or similar.
- The T-Shirt color should be noticeable, i.e. no black or white. You are free to pick any color for the T-Shirt.
- Colors for images are limited: you can use up to four different colors for the front, and up to four colors for the back. They do not have to be the same.
- The design cannot extend to the seams (side
or top) or use the
sleeves. Our printer provides a standard rectangular area that stops several inches from the seams.
- June 15: deadline for sending your design.
- July 1: pre-selection of up to 5 designs, opening of the voting phase.
- August 1: the voting phase ends and the winner is notified
- Early Bird Registration Deadline: Shirt must be finalized (e.g., change requests, if live data were used to generate, etc)